Governor Cuomo announced today that New York will not move forward with hydrofracking. The announcement follows a study on a possible health effects on Hydraulic Fratcuring for Natural gas. State Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker doesn’t recommend moving forward with hydrofracking until more studies are done, the state has hadf a moratorium in place for 6 years, ther process was used extensively in Western New York since 1979.
The state Gaming Facility Location Commission announced today, that the Southern Tier Casino License was awarded today to Lago in Tyre New York, in Seneca County. Plans call for a casino & hotel complex which has the backing of Wilmorite of Rochester, which has experience in casino operations. The casino site will be located off of exit 41 on the New York State thruway
The Chenango County Sheriff’s department arrested 25-year-old Anastatia Hallenbeck of Norwich Tuesday, following an investigation into the sales of heroin in the Norwich area. Hallenbeck was charged with 2 counts of Criminal Sale of a Controlled Substance, she was arraigned in the City of Norwich Court and remanded to the Chenango County Correctional Facility on $5,000 cash bail.
The Chenango county sheriffs department arrested 27-year-old Benjamin Intres of Plymouth for Criminal Obstruction of Breathing and 2nd degree Harassment. Intres is accused of subjecting a female victim to unwanted physical contact, knocking the victim to the ground & choking her, during a domestic dispute. Intres was arraigned in the Town of Plymouth Court & was remanded to the Chenango County Correctional facility on $2,500 cash bail; he faces court action in the Town of Plymouth Court at a later date.
Governor Cuomo today announced new regulations to include transgender health care services under New York State’s Medicaid program. The proposed regulations provide treatment for hormone therapy and gender reassignment surgery. Under the proposed regulations, hormone therapy and gender reassignment surgery would be covered for persons who have referrals from medical professionals. Surgery would be covered for individuals who are a minimum age of 18 or 21 years old, depending on specific circumstances. The public will have 45 days to comment on the proposed regulation.
Former Governor George Pataki is considering a run for the White House. Pataki said he plans to decide next year whether to seek the GOP nomination. Pataki was governor from 1995 to 2006; he then launched a consulting firm and joined a New York City law firm.
Governor Cuomo today announced that $26.8 million in State Funding is being awarded to 38 rail and aviation safety, security and Economic development projects across the State. $17.8 million in funding will go for rail upgrades, locally, the Syracuse, Binghamton and New York Railroad Corporation of Cooperstown received $262,600, New York, Susquehanna and Western Railroad of Cooperstown received $2.3 million for improving rails, ties and surfacing & the Central New York Railroad of Cooperstown received $3.1 million to rehabilitate railroad track in Delaware and Broome Counties.
The state Education Department released teacher evaluation scores. 95.6 percent of teachers were rated “effective” or “highly effective” during the 2013-14 academic year despite less than 40 percent of grade 3-8 students being graded “proficient” on their state-mandated tests the same year. 3.7 percent of New York teachers were deemed “developing” and just 0.7 percent were rated “ineffective.” The teacher and principal evaluations are based 60 percent on classroom observations and measures agreed to by schools and local teachers unions. The remaining 40 percent is based on student test scores, including 20 percent based on state-mandated test scores
State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman announced a new scam app that allows homeowners to identify and avoid mortgage rescue scams. AG ScamHelp.com is a web based-app that allows users to search the name of any real organization offering mortgage assistance. The app will show that an organization is “Trusted” if it is part of the Attorney General’s Homeowner Protection Program, or has been approved by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. It will also warn consumers of some of the hallmarks of mortgage rescue scams